Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Basketcats

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by Basketcats »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:45 am
TheCatInTheHat wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:20 am Not sure if that's a response to me, after I already said pride in the conference has obviously been diminished by the various missteps, or if it's intended for previous posts. But being disappointed isn't the same as caring about any attempts at humor by rival fans on the internet. I used to travel to Canada, and the CBC "news" seemed to consist of worrying about what little the American media had to say about them. Of course, from our perspective, we don't think about them much (forest fires notwithstanding), and certainly don't particularly care very much when we do.
What misteps exactly?

espn and fox are doing everything they possibly can to kill the conference to save money

Very few know the true details if what is going on. Look at things as people who negotiate contracts do not from fan boys or podcasters or small dick big 12 trolls
So you're saying that anyone who doesn't know as much as you do or has a viewpoint that differs in a negative way from yours is either a fanboy, podcaster or small dick big 12 troll?

This is exactly the type of attitude that got the PAC12 into the shitstorm of an existence it lives right now. Waiting, putting shit off until the last second. Thinking it is better than it really is. UCLA and USC both saw the writing on the wall way ahead of the rest of the conference and acted. Look what they got. Big money deals to set them up for the future because they took their future and put it in their hands. The money the Big XII has to offer Arizona may not be USC or UCLA money but it is there, it is real, can be guaranteed right now and is more than likely going to be equivalent to anything being offered by the PAC12.
  • They won't have to worry about where they fall in the conference pecking order when it comes to payouts.
  • They won't have to worry about pulling in a worthy G5 school to replace the SoCal schools.
  • They won't have to deal with this same crap in 3-5 years.
  • They will be playing in a conference with arguably tougher opponents.
Eventually, the Big XII is going to call the PAC12s bluff and close the doors on expansion just like the PAC12 did when they tried to pull Big XII teams over. That is when teams like Arizona and Colorado are going to get screwed over and it is sad to think that there are people out there who believe that advocating for change is a bad thing. Everything changes. That is the nature of existence. Trying to control the change is fruitless work. All it does is cripple you when change finally does get it's way.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Basketcats wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:22 am
TheCatInTheHat wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:20 am Not sure if that's a response to me, after I already said pride in the conference has obviously been diminished by the various missteps, or if it's intended for previous posts. But being disappointed isn't the same as caring about any attempts at humor by rival fans on the internet. I used to travel to Canada, and the CBC "news" seemed to consist of worrying about what little the American media had to say about them. Of course, from our perspective, we don't think about them much (forest fires notwithstanding), and certainly don't particularly care very much when we do.
What misteps exactly?

espn and fox are doing everything they possibly can to kill the conference to save money

Very few know the true details if what is going on. Look at things as people who negotiate contracts do not from fan boys or podcasters or small dick big 12 trolls
So you're saying that anyone who doesn't know as much as you do or has a viewpoint that differs in a negative way from yours is either a fanboy, podcaster or small dick big 12 troll?

This is exactly the type of attitude that got the PAC12 into the shitstorm of an existence it lives right now. Waiting, putting shit off until the last second. Thinking it is better than it really is. UCLA and USC both saw the writing on the wall way ahead of the rest of the conference and acted. Look what they got. Big money deals to set them up for the future because they took their future and put it in their hands. The money the Big XII has to offer Arizona may not be USC or UCLA money but it is there, it is real, can be guaranteed right now and is more than likely going to be equivalent to anything being offered by the PAC12.
  • They won't have to worry about where they fall in the conference pecking order when it comes to payouts.
  • They won't have to worry about pulling in a worthy G5 school to replace the SoCal schools.
Eventually, the Big XII is going to call the PAC12s bluff and close the doors on expansion just like the PAC12 did when they tried to pull Big XII teams over. That is when teams like Arizona and Colorado are going to get screwed over and it is sad to think that there are people out there who believe that advocating for change is a bad thing. Everything changes. That is the nature of existence. Trying to control the change is fruitless work. All it does is cripple you when change finally does get it's way.
USC wanted out of the PAC for years, and worked behind the scenes to make it happen. UCLA just went along for the ride, and because of their mismanagement, had no choice. USC also screwed the PAC from taking the BIG12 leftovers after OU and Texas left.

As for the money, we don't know what the PAC deal will be. If it's significantly less than what the BIG12 can offer, we move. It's possible, it could be more? It's all speculation at this point. What we do know, is no other school looking to go BIG12 is a better option than Arizona and Colorado. UCONN? Gonzaga as basketball only? SDSU? All pale in comparison to both Colorado and Arizona. Oregon and Washington don't, but they have already been vetted for the B1G. The only reason they aren't B1G members yet is the B1G refuses to administer the kill shot to the PAC. But if someone else does it, UW and Oregon head straight to the B1G.

You are also kidding yourself if you believe, long term, there is stability in the BIG12. They just added 4 G5 schools to survive after they lost Texas and OU. As soon as the current BIG12 contract is up, if the B1G wants Kansas, or the SEC wants to add OK State, these schools are gone. How many more G5 schools can the BIG12 add and still be considered P5 if this happens?

I understand the panic, and the idea that a good plan violently executed (heading to the BIG12 today) might seem like a better option than waiting. But this isn't war, this is more game theory. And we are still in a position where we can wait to see if there are better options before committing ourselves to a conference that isn't significantly better than the PAC is today. Eventually the BIG12 won't wait any longer, but nothing is stopping them from adding UCONN, Gonzaga, or SDSU today, and they aren't moving towards that at all. The next piece to be played will be the numbers for the PAC contract. When those come out, we'll have more information.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The gist:

Which brings us back to the Pac-12’s board of directors and two notable changes on July 1:

— Washington State president Kirk Schulz took over as board chair from Washington’s Ana Mari Cauce, whose term expired.

— Robbins, the Arizona president, joined Schulz and Stanford’s Marc Tessier-Lavigne on the executive committee (in the spot previously occupied by Cauce).

The move creates better geographic balance by giving the Four Corners schools, the quartet of universities being wooed by the Big 12, a presence on the influential body.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We should just our fate be decided by a herd of cats. They always make the best deal in the end.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wouldn’t you love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I have lost hope that the Cats will move to the B12. When did Robbins ever do what the fans wanted?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:44 am I have lost hope that the Cats will move to the B12. When did Robbins ever do what the fans wanted?
Why would you do what fans wanted and not what is in the best interest of the University if you were Robbins?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:01 am
Catintheheat wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:44 am I have lost hope that the Cats will move to the B12. When did Robbins ever do what the fans wanted?
Why would you do what fans wanted and not what is in the best interest of the University if you were Robbins?
The best interest for UA athletics is to keep Arizona as a national brand in basketball. That is our cash cow. If the Cats get stuck on a streaming service that nobody, but the Cats fanbase would watch Or worse, shown regionally, there goes the national brand. The Cats need to be seen on major streaming services like YouTube TV, Sling, or Hulu Live+.

If the Cats end up on Apple TV, the country won't watch, and the Pac 12 will cease to be a P5 conference.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Basketcats wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:22 am
What misteps exactly?

Oh my…..

Of course not. But who is the loudest out there now. Loser podcasters, small dick Big 12 trolls (Swaim) and the Stan’s of those people.

If you have a reasonable take on things I am all about it. But if you just echo wheat those losers and trolls say I don’t take you seriously.

USC and UCLA didn’t see writing on the wall. They knew they were the largest economic drivers and were underpaid and went to get value closer to what they truly bring to the table.

Tell me why the Big 12 won’t be in a position like this in a few years. Because no one fucking wants those schools. ACC PAC12 and most importantly the SEC and Big Ten

The Big 12 is not nearly as awesome as people make them out to be.

I want what is best for UA overall. If that is the Big 12 great. If it is waiting for a potential spot in the Big Ten by staying in the PAC for now and getting a reduced Big Ten share at the next media deal amazing. But Robbins and Heeke know a lot more than any podcaster or troll and certainly the Stans of the podcasters and trolls

Also the Big 12 will ALWAYS be there for UA if needed at some point
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:08 am
The best interest for UA athletics is to keep Arizona as a national brand in basketball. That is our cash cow. If the Cats get stuck on a streaming service that nobody, but the Cats fanbase would watch Or worse, shown regionally, there goes the national brand. The Cats need to be seen on major streaming services like YouTube TV, Sling, or Hulu Live+.

If the Cats end up on Apple TV, the country won't watch, and the Pac 12 will cease to be a P5 conference.
Respectfully I completely disagree. You know about half the Big 12 games will be streamed in basketball right? People will watch if you are good.

Also the current 10 PAC schools are a million times better than the Big 12 in football (after Texas and Oklahoma leave).

The selling point so many UA fans buy is that the Big 12 is stable. It is because it it just barely good enough to be better than mid majors or G5 but not close to good enough where other conferences ant any of their schools now except Kansas basketball
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:14 am

Respectfully I completely disagree. You know about half the Big 12 games will be streamed in basketball right? People will watch if you are good.

Also the current 10 PAC schools are a million times better than the Big 12 in football (after Texas and Oklahoma leave).

The selling point so many UA fans buy is that the Big 12 is stable. It is because it it just barely good enough to be better than mid majors or G5 but not close to good enough where other conferences ant any of their schools now except Kansas basketball
It must be lonely on the island you are defending.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:32 am

It must be lonely on the island you are defending.
The truth sometimes is lonely. Not sure why wanting what is best for UA is lonely though. Maybe because people listen to others instead of making their own decisions and doing their own thinking too much.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The reality is, college sports has two top conferences. The B1G and SEC. If you are not a part of one of these conferences, you want to be. The BIG12? Once Texas and OK leave, it's a conference of 8 also-rans and 4 G5 call ups. If any one of these teams ever get an invite from the B1G or SEC, they are as good as gone.

If you ranked the top programs out there not a part of the B1G or SEC, the top of the list would be Notre Dame, then a bunch of ACC and PAC schools long before you got to any BIG12 school. ACC school are stuck with their current contract that is unbreakable without a major penalty until 2036. PAC schools are stuck because the B1G won't shoot the death blow by taking any more schools, and reality is, the BIG12 isn't a better option right now for any PAC school.

Our best option is to wait and see what the PAC contract looks like. If it's really bad, the BIG12 will be happy to take us. If the contract is acceptable, we take it, and try and position ourselves for better options in a few years when the next round begins.

Last, college basketball ratings aren't huge, and we won't be losing viewers even if we're on Apple TV. Most college games draw fans of the school and maybe conference only. That's because games are played at the same time as NBA games, as well as NHL games. Pro sports almost always draw better ratings than college sports. The exception is March Madness, where most of the money in college basketball comes from. The TNT analysists aren't the only ones who only watch college basketball when the calendar turns to March unless one of their teams is playing. College football benefits from having Saturday all to itself, especially when the World Series finishes. The NFL won't play Saturday games until college football is done. As long as Arizona Basketball stays in the top 25, we'll be just fine, regardless of where our regular season games are televised.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The football program generates more money for the university than basketball does. That's the same at all schools including Kansas and Kentucky.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:14 am Also the current 10 PAC schools are a million times better than the Big 12 in football (after Texas and Oklahoma leave).
You do know USC and UCLA are leaving the PAC don't you?

Big 12 had 8 teams go to bowl games last season, the PAC 7. Even if you remove OU, UT, UCLA and USC that still gives them the edge.
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:59 am Last, college basketball ratings aren't huge, and we won't be losing viewers even if we're on Apple TV.
Many of us already have too many streaming services and aren't going to pay for another one.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:34 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:14 am Also the current 10 PAC schools are a million times better than the Big 12 in football (after Texas and Oklahoma leave).

Big 12 had 8 teams go to bowl games last season, the PAC 7. Even if you remove OU, UT, UCLA and USC that still gives them the edge.
TCU went to the championship game.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:59 am Last, college basketball ratings aren't huge, and we won't be losing viewers even if we're on Apple TV.
Many of us already have too many streaming services and aren't going to pay for another one.
For fuck sake

I clearly said 10.

I was 99% sure you didn't actually read and just projected what you wanted but this confirms it to 100%

Read next time Merk
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:52 pm Read next time Merk
Did you?
Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:34 pm Even if you remove OU, UT, UCLA and USC that still gives them the edge.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:57 am Wouldn’t you love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings
I suspect I’d want to start throwing stuff at people’s heads.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:56 pm
azcat49 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:57 am Wouldn’t you love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings
I suspect I’d want to start throwing stuff at people’s heads.
Kind of how I feel reading these regurgitated comments from this thread…
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:43 pm
Don't I need to check the size of this guy's dick before I listen to him? It's the dick size that counts, right?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:43 pm
The rhetoric about SMU that the Pac12 is force feeding the media is just so tangibly false to reality it's hilarious. Pac12 can't give the media any positive TV deal news, so they feed garbage about expansion instead. This is truly the worst ran sports group of any kind in history and you have certain people dying to stick with it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It isn't merely about streaming, it's about the streaming platform you're on. AppleTV's customers are made up vastly of T-Mobile customers who get it for free and people who are on a 3 month trial from buying a new Apple product. The Big 12's streamed games will be on ESPN+. The difference between the two platforms in regards to the eye balls of sports fans aren't even remotely close. Streaming Tier 3 games isn't the problem, the problem is the platform. ESPN will still push and cross promote games it has on ESPN+. Not a god damn soul will hear about our games on AppleTV on ESPN. Apple doesn't even promote the few sports it currently has on its own products. Do you own an Iphone? If so, how often do you get notified of a big MLS game or one of the few MLB games that Apple has? I own numerous Apple products and I haven't been notified a single god damn time. If we partner with AppleTV we might as well not even exist. To make it even worse it won't just be Tier 3 games on Apple. We're staring Tier 2 and probably some Tier 1 as well. You have your head so far up your own ass about staying in this conference that you fail to see the forest through the trees that are right in front of you in regards to issues that we would face. You're arguing for the literal public death of your favorite college sports team. Way to go pal.

Also in what world are the PAC schools million times better in football than the Big 12? Talk about hyperbole at best and pure utter ignorance at worst.

Yes, the Big 12 is stable, because it doesn't have any huge massive names in college football that the B1G or SEC would want. You know why else it's stable? Because it has a TV deal with the two major TV networks that matters in collegiate sports. Yet here we are with Oregon and UW, two big brands, and then nobody else that any other conference would value (outside of maybe Stanford cause of academics), and we're going to have to settle for AppleTV. You know that's bad, yet you continually argue that it's a great situation. Way to brown nose Sally, you sure know how to tow the company line.

Shitting on a conference that will have a far superior television deal because it hurts your feelings isn't a good look for you. It makes you look sad and pathetic. The Big 12 has more supportive fans and a more appealing product due to the fact their universities value sports and competition, while our universities value AcAdEmIcZ. I'm sorry the truth hurts your feelings, but seriously your arguments are void of reality and are just word salad with dog diarrhea used for dressing.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DING DING DING DING DING DING.

Merkin is a true diehard Arizona fan and he's saying this. Now imagine you're anybody else in the world who isn't vested in a Pac-12 team. Nobody who isn't vested is going to pay for AppleTV to watch Pac-12 sports. It's the same problem the Pac 12 Network had. Not enough people cared to demand that network and they sure as hell aren't going to care to subscribe to an extra service to watch us.

Absolute idiocy to argue otherwise.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:51 am

Merkin is a true diehard Arizona fan and he's saying this. Now imagine you're anybody else in the world who isn't vested in a Pac-12 team. Nobody who isn't vested is going to pay for AppleTV to watch Pac-12 sports. It's the same problem the Pac 12 Network had. Not enough people cared to demand that network and they sure as hell aren't going to care to subscribe to an extra service to watch us.

1) Broadcast/cable will be obsolete in a few years.

2) the majority of major sports will be on streaming services in the near future, also.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:04 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:51 am

1) Broadcast/cable will be obsolete in a few years.

2) the majority of major sports will be on streaming services in the near future, also.
1) Not based on anything in reality, but even if cable/broadcast goes away, the model will remain a cable aggregator like it is now, but via streaming I.E. YouTubeTV, Sling, etc. Apple TV & stand alone apps do not fall into this category.

2) No, they will not. ESPN, NBC, CBS, ABC, Turner will remain the primary homes for sports. You can acccess those networks via streaming, yes, but the primary networks will remain the primary homes for sports. You literally do not live in reality if you believe Amazon, Apple, or any stand alone streaming will replace those entities on the majority.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Last year, ESPN+ broadcast over 500 college football games (https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... and%20SWAC.) This year, there will be more. Once the new SEC and BIG12 contracts kick in, that number will only increase. The ACC Channel will likely go all streaming soon too. ESPN+ is already saturated with college football, not to mentioned plenty of other sports, such as MLB, NBA, European soccer.....

Once question we have to ask is if our games are to be broadcast on ESPN+ as part of the BIG12, what differentiates our product from all the other sports being broadcast on ESPN+? If there is no answer to this, then our games will get lost in the shuffle of the dozens of college football games plus is broadcasting. along with the dozen other sporting events being broadcast the same day on ESPN+. To think a 10:00 AM Pacific game featuring Arizona at C. Florida, or a 10:30 PM Eastern game featuring Iowa St. at Arizona is going to get more viewers on ESPN+ versus any other streaming service is silly. The only viewers for these games on any streaming service will be the fans of both teams, and little else, regardless.

Not sure what the future holds, but if you think being a part of the masses on ESPN+ is going to be a difference maker, you need to rethink that position. All things being equal, I'd rather be in a conference that is an exclusive partner of a streaming service versus being an also ran on ESPN, that is broadcasting Major League Lacrosse on the same platform as our games. If the money from the non ESPN platform is more, even better.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

By the way, Apple TV is currently only $6.99/month. And like other streaming services, no contract, You can cancel and re-subscribe at any time. If $63/year for Apple TV for the 9 months that broadcast UA sporting events is too much for you, than you have other, more serious issues. If you can afford the $63/year but refuse to subscribe to another streaming service, then just how big of a fan are you?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Has anybody used the term "shit show" yet?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:19 am By the way, Apple TV is currently only $6.99/month. And like other streaming services, no contract, You can cancel and re-subscribe at any time. If $63/year for Apple TV for the 9 months that broadcast UA sporting events is too much for you, than you have other, more serious issues. If you can afford the $63/year but refuse to subscribe to another streaming service, then just how big of a fan are you?
Why do you continually ignore the fact that those of us who are diehards and maintained our fandom despite 11pm EST kickoffs and regional cable coverage on a channel not available on some of the largest systems are not who the PAC10 should be worried about?

It’s about expanding the fanbases. Wake up!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:19 am By the way, Apple TV is currently only $6.99/month.
Apple is not going to put PAC sports on their base package.

For example, MLS is $80 for a season pass if you already pay for Apple TV.

Even when I had Sling, I had to pay extra for the Sports Package.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:59 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:19 am By the way, Apple TV is currently only $6.99/month. And like other streaming services, no contract, You can cancel and re-subscribe at any time. If $63/year for Apple TV for the 9 months that broadcast UA sporting events is too much for you, than you have other, more serious issues. If you can afford the $63/year but refuse to subscribe to another streaming service, then just how big of a fan are you?
Why do you continually ignore the fact that those of us who are diehards and maintained our fandom despite 11pm EST kickoffs and regional cable coverage on a channel not available on some of the largest systems are not who the PAC10 should be worried about?

How do you expand the fan base when our games are on ESPN+, with 20 other games on plus the same day? And zero visibility on sports bars because their channels are not showing plus games except the regional interest game? Really think our college baseball regional games against TCU and Santa Clara broadcast on ESPN+ expanded our fanbase? Me neither. And considering all the college football games already on plus, the additional games that will be on plus once the SEC and BIG12 contracts take effect, plus all the other sports on plus, having games on ESPN plus will expand the fan base about as well as having games on the PAC12 Network.

Want to expand the fan base? Join the B1G or the SEC. They are top dogs. Since those options are currently off the table, I think we must take a risk to separate ourselves from the pack. And the pack will all be on ESPN plus.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:33 am

How do you expand the fan base when our games are on ESPN+, with 20 other games on plus the same day? And zero visibility on sports bars because their channels are not showing plus games except the regional interest game? Really think our college baseball regional games against TCU and Santa Clara broadcast on ESPN+ expanded our fanbase? Me neither. And considering all the college football games already on plus, the additional games that will be on plus once the SEC and BIG12 contracts take effect, plus all the other sports on plus, having games on ESPN plus will expand the fan base about as well as having games on the PAC12 Network.

Want to expand the fan base? Join the B1G or the SEC. They are top dogs. Since those options are currently off the table, I think we must take a risk to separate ourselves from the pack. And the pack will all be on ESPN plus.
You’d rather stay together as a conference to be put on a streaming service that delivers very little sports currently and markets none of it, than go to a new conference and be on a streaming service that ONLY deals with sports and promotes the shit out of it just to be “different”???

I know that you know that that makes zero sense. Stubbornly sticking to it anyway is a little funny but mostly sad.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:44 am

It isn't merely about streaming, it's about the streaming platform you're on. AppleTV's customers are made up vastly of T-Mobile customers who get it for free and people who are on a 3 month trial from buying a new Apple product. The Big 12's streamed games will be on ESPN+. The difference between the two platforms in regards to the eye balls of sports fans aren't even remotely close. Streaming Tier 3 games isn't the problem, the problem is the platform. ESPN will still push and cross promote games it has on ESPN+. Not a god damn soul will hear about our games on AppleTV on ESPN. Apple doesn't even promote the few sports it currently has on its own products. Do you own an Iphone? If so, how often do you get notified of a big MLS game or one of the few MLB games that Apple has? I own numerous Apple products and I haven't been notified a single god damn time. If we partner with AppleTV we might as well not even exist. To make it even worse it won't just be Tier 3 games on Apple. We're staring Tier 2 and probably some Tier 1 as well. You have your head so far up your own ass about staying in this conference that you fail to see the forest through the trees that are right in front of you in regards to issues that we would face. You're arguing for the literal public death of your favorite college sports team. Way to go pal.

Also in what world are the PAC schools million times better in football than the Big 12? Talk about hyperbole at best and pure utter ignorance at worst.

Yes, the Big 12 is stable, because it doesn't have any huge massive names in college football that the B1G or SEC would want. You know why else it's stable? Because it has a TV deal with the two major TV networks that matters in collegiate sports. Yet here we are with Oregon and UW, two big brands, and then nobody else that any other conference would value (outside of maybe Stanford cause of academics), and we're going to have to settle for AppleTV. You know that's bad, yet you continually argue that it's a great situation. Way to brown nose Sally, you sure know how to tow the company line.

Shitting on a conference that will have a far superior television deal because it hurts your feelings isn't a good look for you. It makes you look sad and pathetic. The Big 12 has more supportive fans and a more appealing product due to the fact their universities value sports and competition, while our universities value AcAdEmIcZ. I'm sorry the truth hurts your feelings, but seriously your arguments are void of reality and are just word salad with dog diarrhea used for dressing.

It is amazing how people read what they want vs what is written

I said if thr Big12 is best for UA long term then I want UA to go to the Big12.

And yes Washington Oregon and Utah are all better than any Big 12 school. Kansas State is close but no one else gets to those levels. TCU had a good year last year but it isn't sustainable. That's why their win total is 7.5 this year

Good thing I don't give the slightest fuck what you think. You mad because I have independent thought and just don't echo Scheer and Luke and small dick Big 12 trolls like Swaim
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

The obsession with penis size is very on-brand.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:58 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:44 am

It is amazing how people read what they want vs what is written

I said if thr Big12 is best for UA long term then I want UA to go to the Big12.

And yes Washington Oregon and Utah are all better than any Big 12 school. Kansas State is close but no one else gets to those levels. TCU had a good year last year but it isn't sustainable. That's why their win total is 7.5 this year

Good thing I don't give the slightest fuck what you think. You mad because I have independent thought and just don't echo Scheer and Luke and small dick Big 12 trolls like Swaim
Has Scheer, Luke, or Swaim ever made the arguments I’m making or are you just making up shit because you’re mad, because I’m better versed on this topic than you and you don’t know what we’re yelling about, Brick?
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

1. See Merkin’s post
2. That’s $63 a year that anybody who is not a Pac12 fan will not be spending.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:52 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:33 am

You’d rather stay together as a conference to be put on a streaming service that delivers very little sports currently and markets none of it, than go to a new conference and be on a streaming service that ONLY deals with sports and promotes the shit out of it just to be “different”???

I know that you know that that makes zero sense. Stubbornly sticking to it anyway is a little funny but mostly sad.
Yes. You really think being part of the 15 college football games, plus the dozen other sporting events ESPN+ will be broadcasting is going to help promote the Arizona brand? We'll get lost in the shuffle. ESPN+ doesn't release any viewership numbers, just subscriber numbers. 23 million, but how many bundle with Disney and Hulu, and never even hit the ESPN button? There's a reason why ESPN is laying off a large number of persons, including some of their more popular, long-term TV personalities. Is it really going to be advantageous being on plus, jumbled with MLB games, MLL games, Euro soccer games, and dozens of other college football games all on plus? Nobody but the fans will care, and certainly SEC fans aren't buying ESPN plus to watch Tier 3 BIG12 games!

All D1 schools have the same product. Come 2024, ESPN will have the SEC, ACC, BIG12, and a bunch of G5 conferences on their platform. Our games will be lumped in with the also-rans, like FAU versus Ohio. That game was shown on ESPN+ last year. Think anyone other than Ohio or FAU fans watched this game? Think anyone other than fans of these programs subscribed to ESPN plus because of this game?

All other things being close to equal (money per year in this case), I think we must differentiate ourselves. It's our best shot. Apple didn't build it's brand on being just like all other computer/tech companies out there, even though their products did exactly the same as everyone else. They built it on differentiation. If you aren't a part of the big 2 (SEC and B1G) in the future, I say take a gamble and be different. Otherwise, you'll get lost in the shuffle.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm a huge Apple fangirl, but being on that service is a death sentence. You need to go after SPORTS FANS not APPLE FANS. Apple fans by and large don't give two craps about sports. Not to mention their MLB broadcasts are a joke.

ESPN+ isn't ideal, but you have a much better chance of people actually seeing you. And let's not forget that Apple will charge to watch the Pac 12 by itself, while with ESPN+ you get to watch multiple sports and conferences for that price, meaning other people can actually watch our games for once! What a concept.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wants you to believe that being on a sports network means getting “lost in the shuffle” while being on a non-sports network that does zero promotion of the few games it does feature is innovative because up is down and white is black so long as we stick with Oregon and Washington (who by the way will have announced they are gone before the next even shittier TV deal is negotiated).
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:09 pm I'm a huge Apple fangirl, but being on that service is a death sentence. You need to go after SPORTS FANS not APPLE FANS. Apple fans by and large don't give two craps about sports. Not to mention their MLB broadcasts are a joke.

ESPN+ isn't ideal, but you have a much better chance of people actually seeing you. And let's not forget that Apple will charge to watch the Pac 12 by itself, while with ESPN+ you get to watch multiple sports and conferences for that price, meaning other people can actually watch our games for once! What a concept.
Did you ever watch ESPN in 1979?? Not exactly "serious competition" to existing broadcast sports!!

Everything We Know About ESPN’s Plans to Leave Cable TV & Offer a Stand Alone Streaming Service

What exactly is Disney’s plans for ESPN as a streaming service?

Now thanks to a Disney project code-named ‘Flagship,’ Disney staff are actively working on turning ESPN into a streaming service. Exactly how that will work is still unknown.

What has Disney officially said about this project?

Recently when asked about the future of ESPN as a direct streaming service during Disney’s 1st quarter 2023 earnings call, CEO Bob Iger said, “Regarding ESPN and when we might make the shift, if you’re asking me, is the shift inevitable? The answer is yes, but I’m not going to give you any sense of when that could be, because we have to do it, obviously, at a time that really makes sense for the bottom line. And we’re just not there yet,” Bob Iger said. “And that’s not just about how many subscribers we could get, it’s also about what is the pricing power of ESPN, which obviously ties to the menu of sports that that they’ve licensed.”

Not that long ago, ESPN Chairman Jimmy Pitaro once again made it clear that ESPN will be a streaming service but just not yet.

“We’re going to get to a point where we take our entire network, our flagship programming, and make it available direct to consumer,” Pitaro said in an interview with Bloomberg. “That’s a ‘when,’ not an ‘if’….We’re only going to do it when it makes sense for our business and for our bottom line.”

What price should you expect for ESPN as a standalone service?

ESPN reportedly gets, on average $9.42 from each cable TV subscriber. Pricing the service at $15 a month could mean Disney will get a larger profit for each subscriber.

Moving to streaming will likely mean ESPN will need to charge more as many people who pay for ESPN don’t watch it. $15 to $30 could be a price you may expect depending on if ESPN+ is included etc.

Will ESPN still be available through YouTube TV, Cable TV, etc?

According to Forbes, ESPN plans to keep its channels on cable TV and streaming services. When this happens ESPN will also reportedly be offered as a streaming service alongside its cable channel simular to what The Weather Channel and some RSNs are doing right now.

Will this move kill cable TV?

It is very easy to see how this move will start a domino effect in sports. FOX, Paramount, and NBC could all easily follow in ESPNs footsteps and make their content available through their streaming services like Paramount+, Peacock, and the Fox Sports app. Raising a very real question of why anyone would pay for 100+ channels of content they don’t want when they can get the sports programs they do directly from the providers.

Final Thoughts

For now, this is all we know. Don’t expect ESPN to go streaming only tomorrow but it has become clear that Disney plans to cut the cord on cable TV and go streaming. The only questions now are what does this mean for other Disney channels.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

This article was written in 2017 about the 5 reasons ESPN is dying. The issues have not resolved. If anything, they have only gotten worse, and the death of ESPN has progressed, which is why ESPN will soon be streaming only. https://www.thestreet.com/opinion/espn-14308344

Our two college baseball regional games were on ESPN+. Think we got any brand lift from those games? No. Why? Because our game was one of a half dozen college baseball games streaming at the same time. Plus, ESPN and ESPN2 were showing college baseball games on linear TV. Throw in MLB games, plus NBA and NHL playoff games, and our streaming baseball games gained zero casual sports fans. Only ones watching were Arizona and TCU/Santa Clara fans.

BIG12 games streaming on plus will face similar competition. Other college football games, plus MLB games. There is zero brand lift here. Being a part of the BIG12 does come with linear games too, but we'd be relegated to fourth window games on ESPN2, ESPNU, and FS1, just like we are now with the current PAC contract. ESPN will have top SEC, ACC, and BIG12 games, and FOX will have B1G plus BIG12 games that will go in their best windows. Arizona, especially in the BIG12 without marquee teams like USC, Oregon, and Washington, will not get the prime TV slots.

Things would be different if Oregon and UW were leaving, but for whatever reason(s), the B1G has decided not to shoot the kill shot and take more PAC teams at this point. We have no idea if they ever will in the future too. We need to plan today as if the PAC is going to stay together. And if we are to survive, I think it's time now to dare to be different.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

"Moving to streaming will likely mean ESPN will need to charge more as many people who pay for ESPN don’t watch it."

I'll take why ESPN will never go away from the cable model completely for $500, Alex. Having people who don't watch ESPN pay for ESPN is too much money to give up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:09 pm I'm a huge Apple fangirl, but being on that service is a death sentence. You need to go after SPORTS FANS not APPLE FANS. Apple fans by and large don't give two craps about sports. Not to mention their MLB broadcasts are a joke.

Stick with AZCatGirl guys. She won't lead you astray on this topic.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:16 am AzCatFan2 wants you to believe that being on a sports network means getting “lost in the shuffle” while being on a non-sports network that does zero promotion of the few games it does feature is innovative because up is down and white is black so long as we stick with Oregon and Washington (who by the way will have announced they are gone before the next even shittier TV deal is negotiated).
Literally such an asinine argument he's making. The Pac12 is known for trying to differentiate itself, look no further than the conference network infrastructure and choosing to go at it alone. Anybody want to remind me how that worked out?

The correct move here for Arizona, 12+ months into these negotiations, is so blatantly obvious. Unfortunately academics and feelings are getting in the way.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The BIG12 without Texas and OU is a conference of also-rans. It will always be third fiddle at best, and the gap between the SEC, B1G, and the BIG12 will continue to grow. Conferences need cash cows/marquee programs. Who is the BIG12 cash cow?

If we join the BIG12, we'll be in the exact same position we are in today; only without a USC/UCLA or Texas/OU. That's not better. The difference would be our tier 3 games would be on ESPN+ instead of the PAC12 Network. If this is the best we can do, so bet it. But we're not at that point yet.

Take the top programs not in the SEC or B1G right now, and you get, in no particular order, Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. The best BIG12 programs, like OK State and Kansas, might not even be in the top 10 of this list, because Utah, Colorado, and ASU are likely more valuable.

And yes, going it alone with the PAC12 Network was a failure. But that shouldn't mean we should never take a risk again. The B1G may never expand again. ESPN will continue to lose subs as more people cut cords. The ACC will need to find a way to increase their revenues long before their GOR contract expires, which is easier said than done. Still a ton of moving parts, potential outcomes, and pieces to fall.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The Pac-12 needs to differentiate itself by partnering with the one streaming partner nobody watches.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:12 am The BIG12 without Texas and OU is a conference of also-rans. It will always be third fiddle at best, and the gap between the SEC, B1G, and the BIG12 will continue to grow. Conferences need cash cows/marquee programs. Who is the BIG12 cash cow?

If we join the BIG12, we'll be in the exact same position we are in today; only without a USC/UCLA or Texas/OU. That's not better. The difference would be our tier 3 games would be on ESPN+ instead of the PAC12 Network. If this is the best we can do, so bet it. But we're not at that point yet.

Take the top programs not in the SEC or B1G right now, and you get, in no particular order, Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. The best BIG12 programs, like OK State and Kansas, might not even be in the top 10 of this list, because Utah, Colorado, and ASU are likely more valuable.

And yes, going it alone with the PAC12 Network was a failure. But that shouldn't mean we should never take a risk again. The B1G may never expand again. ESPN will continue to lose subs as more people cut cords. The ACC will need to find a way to increase their revenues long before their GOR contract expires, which is easier said than done. Still a ton of moving parts, potential outcomes, and pieces to fall.
Ok so.....your argument is Arizona should remain in a conference that's currently fifth fiddle whose sole expansion options are SDSU and SMU? Oregon and Washington are major cash cows though, I mean look at how many television networks just want to throw money at them just to play Arizona and California. The Pac-12 is knocking TV networks away!

You're literally posting gobbledegoop. Arizona isn't getting a B1G invite, it isn't getting a SEC invite, so the point is to remain in a conference that will lose Oregon and Washington (nobody cares about Stanford except academics) in a handful of years, and that is going to benefit Arizona how exactly? By leaving them in a conference with SMU, SDSU, and more MWC schools?

Every post you make is an abject failure void of logic and reasoning. You are the living embodiment of the Pac-12.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 am The Pac-12 needs to differentiate itself by partnering with the one streaming partner nobody watches.
“It’s just so crazy that it just might work!”

- Morons