Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by PHXCATS »

arizonawildcats wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:40 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:27 pm
Fishclamps wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:25 pm Oh yeah that's true, cause no school has ever left a conference in the middle of a media contract...
Never with that big of a penthouse and never with that many years left on a media deal
The best teams will still get the best bowls and the most money. I don't know what you're trying to prove.
As of now the top 6 conference winners get automatic bids to the CFP

As of now it takes half a billion for any single school to leave the ACC or to give espn every media rights debt you make on a new deal until 2036 to leave. That shit ain’t happening, I know ACC schools are big mad but they can’t change that. ACC will be around for a long time still

Seriously, Oklahoma and Texas leaving is the closest comparison and they are leaving one year early and combined the two school's buyouts is a small fraction of any single school in the ACC would have to pay
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:47 pm FESPN is such trash. It’s not the four “Corner Schools”. It’s the “4-Corners” schools. It’s a freaking national landmark. Go watch Breaking Bad, or buy an atlas.
100%

Fuck I hate that espn will get more money from me next year for espn+. Fuck that shit and that shit company
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:55 pm
arizonawildcats wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:40 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:27 pm
Fishclamps wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:25 pm Oh yeah that's true, cause no school has ever left a conference in the middle of a media contract...
Never with that big of a penthouse and never with that many years left on a media deal
The best teams will still get the best bowls and the most money. I don't know what you're trying to prove.
As of now the top 6 conference winners get automatic bids to the CFP

As of now it takes half a billion for any single school to leave the ACC or to give espn every media rights debt you make on a new deal until 2036 to leave. That shit ain’t happening, I know ACC schools are big mad but they can’t change that. ACC will be around for a long time still

Seriously, Oklahoma and Texas leaving is the closest comparison and they are leaving one year early and combined the two school's buyouts is a small fraction of any single school in the ACC would have to pay
Stop worrying about it. We'll be in the CFP before ASSU.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I’m glad we have LEADERS and not FOLLLOWERS as Machina said
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

If there is a power shift in the conference’s you can 100% guarantee there will be an adjustment to the CFP.

There is no way way the networks will allow watered down teams to participate and negatively impact their ratings/revenue.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

And another point about ASSU and the CFP...

If the "Pac 8" remains as is no way ASSU leapfrogs either Oregon, Washington or Utah to get a bid if the current CFP contract is not amended.

And if those schools depart you no longer have a power conference anyway if the PAC decides to bring in MWC or WCC schools as replacements.

So the thought that ASSU is reconsidering leaving the PAC to somehow put themselves in a better "championship" position would be the dumbest move in a conference that is already infamous for dumb moves.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:57 pm
CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:54 pm No you don’t. Don’t lie. You’re a Phx townie first and cats fan distant second
You are a fucking moron
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... 20matchups.
The expanded 12-team bracket will feature the six highest-ranked conference champions as automatic qualifiers along with the next six highest-ranked teams. The four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded 1-4 with first-round byes. The next four highest-ranked teams (Nos. 5-8) will host the first-round matchups. The CFP Selection Committee will continue to determine weekly ratings with criteria to be reevaluated in the future.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:28 am https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... 20matchups.
The expanded 12-team bracket will feature the six highest-ranked conference champions as automatic qualifiers along with the next six highest-ranked teams. The four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded 1-4 with first-round byes. The next four highest-ranked teams (Nos. 5-8) will host the first-round matchups. The CFP Selection Committee will continue to determine weekly ratings with criteria to be reevaluated in the future.
I love it - more teams means more chances for teams not named Alabama, Georgia, etc... to have a Cinderella story.

Could that be Arizona? :lol: I can certainly dream.

Although it will be tough to run a 3-game table against top teams. But overall, I'm on board.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I hope ASU thinks like Machina and sticks in the PAC-6/8/9 because they think that means they can win the league more often and go to the Playoff… only for the CFP Selection Committee to point and laugh at that micro penis conference and tell it’s members to get fucked, you have to be in a major conference to get an auto bid.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Nooooo
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

We are so fucked if this happens
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Booby better not fuck this up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Scheer is saying that Arizona will just go alone if it has to even if they don't want to go alone fwiw
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

What a fucking asshole. The BOR too. Edit: machina also.
Last edited by KillerKlown on Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Zero. Absolutely zero reason to leave before you absolutely have to. There is not some hard deadline with the Big12. 100% the right move to wait until there is
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

God dammit.

We’re gonna fucking ‘05 Illini this arnt we.

For fucks sake. And again, ASU fucking shit up for us.

Welcome to my Ted talk.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck asu.

You do you. We do we. There is about survival, not juice boxes
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Crow is such a bitch. The sooner we part with him, the.m better off we’ll be.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:12 am Zero. Absolutely zero reason to leave before you absolutely have to. There is not some hard deadline with the Big12. 100% the right move to wait until there is
There are MULTIPLE reasons to leave immediately Einstein:

1) We will lose (at least) $12M/year by staying in the PAC9

2) National exposure (and recruiting) will nosedive after we disappear behind Apples paywall

3) There is ZERO guarantee that the Big12 lifeboat will exist in 5 years (or 5 days for that matter)

4) The PAC12 is ultimately doomed as UW/UO will leave the minute the B1G invites them

The logical decision is to leave, and leave ASAP

And NO, there is ZERO chance the B1G or SEC will save AZ
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

If the PAC survives, it will have at least one playoff slot in the 2024/25 season, and 2025/26 season. At this point, the PAC survives if the B1G decides not to move on ORWA. Which is a distinct possibility, especially since USC opposes the move.

If the PAC survives, signs with Apple, and things aren't a total flop, i.e. there's a reasonable number of subscribers and PAC teams do OK in the playoffs, then PAC schools would have positioned themselves in a decent spot for the next round of conference negotiations. If the Apple proof of concept is good enough, Apple might start talking to the SEC and the B1G about partnering with ESPN or Fox respectively about a 2030 and beyond contract. Part of this negotiation would likely include having PAC teams included in some way.

If we go to the BIG12 too early, we might have a few laughs in the next few years at the PAC's expense. But the new nightmare scenario is starting in 2030, PAC schools, one way or another, pass the BIG12 by, and we're stuck in a 2nd rate conference, with 9+ decades of rights signed over, and a $100million+ buyout. With no guarantee that the BIG12 will still have a playoff spot in 2030, nor a guarantee that ESPN and/or FOX will want or need to broadcast BIG12 games in the future.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m sick.

We need to leave if anything to take the ASU “ownd” card off the table, if we accept they will always hold it over us that they prevented their rival from making a decision that made them more money.

Just don’t sign the GOR with apple arizona. Don’t do it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Is Karpman implying the BOR could block this thing? F ASSU and Crowe
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

IF the apple model works? It won't!

It's just the P12N behind another layer, get real.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

For the love...
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:37 am If the PAC survives, it will have at least one playoff slot in the 2024/25 season, and 2025/26 season. At this point, the PAC survives if the B1G decides not to move on ORWA. Which is a distinct possibility, especially since USC opposes the move.

If the PAC survives, signs with Apple, and things aren't a total flop, i.e. there's a reasonable number of subscribers and PAC teams do OK in the playoffs, then PAC schools would have positioned themselves in a decent spot for the next round of conference negotiations. If the Apple proof of concept is good enough, Apple might start talking to the SEC and the B1G about partnering with ESPN or Fox respectively about a 2030 and beyond contract. Part of this negotiation would likely include having PAC teams included in some way.

If we go to the BIG12 too early, we might have a few laughs in the next few years at the PAC's expense. But the new nightmare scenario is starting in 2030, PAC schools, one way or another, pass the BIG12 by, and we're stuck in a 2nd rate conference, with 9+ decades of rights signed over, and a $100million+ buyout. With no guarantee that the BIG12 will still have a playoff spot in 2030, nor a guarantee that ESPN and/or FOX will want or need to broadcast BIG12 games in the future.
You and PHXCATS must be drinking from the same bottle:

1) There are a lot of "Ifs" in your flawed analaysis. Again, the UA will lose money if we stay in the PAC9. There is virtually ZERO
chance the PAC9 will garner sufficient APPLE subscribers to make any difference

2) The B1G/SEC are NOT going to partner with the Pac9 and give away money......thats just so much drivel/fantasy

3) How in the hell is the PAC9 going to pass the Big12 (LOL). Fact: The Big12 has a much better media deal and actual linear exposure over the next 5 years. The PAC9 is going to disappear behind a paywall

You and PHXCATS need to put down the bottle/crackpipe and move on
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Omg effing god…

This conference is so messed up

This is like when I broke up with my college gf and she goes “ you can’t break up, it take two to get together it take two to break up”
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This isn’t “conference unity” this is extortion.

Everyone is playing their cards to get the cover they need.

The sooner we leave this toxic mess the better.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

This is just like governments. It's all about keeping/retaining the POWER.

We as fans are just pawns in this fucked up chess game and I'm sick and tired of it. College sports (especially UofA) is like my last bastion of entertainment and these fucked up elitist conference Heads/Presidents are ruining it for me.

I think I will take up basket weaving...
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Looking like this pac 12 meeting was just a negotiating tactic from Oregon and Washington
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I wonder if Brett stretched before flipping around and posting every rumor. At least it was useful for Oregon and Washington.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
George Costanza

Post by George Costanza »

CalStateTempe wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:47 am Omg effing god…

This conference is so messed up

This is like when I broke up with my college gf and she goes “ you can’t break up, it take two to get together it take two to break up”
It's like launching missiles from a submarine - both people have to turn their keys. Apparently Robbins was unable to breakup beyond a reasonable doubt.

Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I can't wait to never open this thread again. Can we get this ish over with?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:14 am I can't wait to never open this thread again. Can we get this ish over with?
No

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:14 am I can't wait to never open this thread again. Can we get this ish over with?
This thread should be published as the sequel to the Albert Camus novel “No Exit”.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It just seems like it all needs to happen at the same time.

ASU does not want to go to Big12 unless they are sure Oregon and Wash are gone to Big 10

Oregon and Washington are probably dragging ASU along until they got their deal done.

Basically...ASU is everyone's bitch... same as it ever was....
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

This will they/won’t they yo-yo thing is a masterclass in manipulating major media outlets. These reporters are running with every single rumor without first asking themselves if they are being used to float a false bargaining chip.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:19 am
This thread should be published as the sequel to the Albert Camus novel “No Exit”.
Sartre
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:44 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:37 am If the PAC survives, it will have at least one playoff slot in the 2024/25 season, and 2025/26 season. At this point, the PAC survives if the B1G decides not to move on ORWA. Which is a distinct possibility, especially since USC opposes the move.

You and PHXCATS must be drinking from the same bottle:

1) There are a lot of "Ifs" in your flawed analaysis. Again, the UA will lose money if we stay in the PAC9. There is virtually ZERO
chance the PAC9 will garner sufficient APPLE subscribers to make any difference

2) The B1G/SEC are NOT going to partner with the Pac9 and give away money......thats just so much drivel/fantasy

3) How in the hell is the PAC9 going to pass the Big12 (LOL). Fact: The Big12 has a much better media deal and actual linear exposure over the next 5 years. The PAC9 is going to disappear behind a paywall

You and PHXCATS need to put down the bottle/crackpipe and move on
A lot of "ifs" is the point. The future is uncertain. When you're facing an uncertain future, if you can align yourself with industry leaders long term, that's a solid strategy. The BIG12 isn't an industry leader. It's 2nd rate. And it's only tied to industry TV leaders for 5 years. After that, who knows?

A better long-term strategy would be keep your long term options open. Even if that means taking a hit today. Yes, for the next five years, the BIG12 will likely be in a better position than the PAC. But can anyone guarantee this to be the truth in 2030? No. The only guarantees in college sports circa 2030 are the SEC and B1G will be the big dogs. Everything else is TBD, including the future of ESPN.

If ORWA goes to the B1G now and the PAC collapses, then a move to the BIG12 is the right one. But if we move too soon, we risk being tied to a 2nd rate conference for decades with a huge buyout. And for what? Five years of security? Not good enough.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:21 am It just seems like it all needs to happen at the same time.

ASU does not want to go to Big12 unless they are sure Oregon and Wash are gone to Big 10

Oregon and Washington are probably dragging ASU along until they got their deal done.

Basically...ASU is everyone's bitch... same as it ever was....
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:44 am
Sartre
Actually, many of his titles would work:
The Myth of Sisyphus
The Outsider
The Plague
The Fall
A Happy Death

Let's kill the Pac.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Sartre
What about A Feast For Crows?

Seriously, how does Michael Crow have THIS MUCH power!?!?!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sartre
Mon Dieu!