Let's talk '23

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Let's talk '23

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 pm Kaluma is officially in portal.

So is Julian Phillips.
Choo (or anyone else in the know), are we recruiting Kaluma?
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

azcat49 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:38 am I think most on this board and his coaches and teammates. If you look at his numbers last year it’s not hard to conclude ge should have had more minutes.

The post is not a knock on Krissa but rather what I thought was lazy reporting. He compared Krissa with Bradley when I think Boswell should have been the comparison while Bradley would be compared to Ramey. Just my 2 cents
Given the fact that Boswell and Bradley will be our starting backcourt, compared to Krissa and Ramey last year, I totally agree with your assessment. Really Boswell and Bradley will likely be interchangeable at the 1 and 2 spots.

That said, the article was extremely lazy. It calls out Krissa’s 30+ minutes per game, but makes no mention of the fact that he averaged under 10 points per game (9.9 to be exact, so yes I am splitting hairs), and that he accounted for approximately 25% of the team’s turnovers over the last two years. I know that he led the league in assists in back to back years, but his team-share of assists and turnovers is almost identical, meaning that the assists only had a marginal positive impact on our performance. Where we will miss Krissa the most is his attitude. Yes, it was also a detriment at times, but it’s always entertaining to have THEE ASSHOLE on your team, rather than having to face him. He was a hype guy, plain and simple. Beyond that, he is imminently replaceable with our current players, and incoming recruits.
Last edited by TucsonCat on Fri May 12, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

And that Kriisa could not go to the rim or even hit any type of 2 point shot to save his life. He only shot 3's and he was wildly inconsistent in the only "scoring" threat he had in his arsenal.

But he was a terrific floor leader and assist guy - no question about that - but I'm excited to see this new backcourt and think it has the potential to be better.

Also won't miss the antics/stupid T's either.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

After Kriisa made that comment to the TV announcers about “Who brought these refs?” that was caught on mic and went out over the broadcast, he had a target on his back that resulted in way too many technicals. Being the asshole is great when you get under the other team’s skin. Not so much when you turn the refs against us.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I think we're gonna be completely fine without Kriisa.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Bradley+Boswell should be better than Kerr+Ramey in total.

I really like having Bradley, Boswell, Pelle, and KJ Lewis as our guard rotation.
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:38 am
TucsonCat wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:19 am
pc in NM wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:02 am
azcat49 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:50 am Agree with ECC, talk about lazy reporting. Boswell will take the reins at PG and play Krissa minutes. Most expect him to have a huge year so that part of the article seems like a big swing and a miss.

I would give AZ an incomplete st this point. Let’s see how this offseason winds up
"Most expect him to have a huge year"

Most of whom?

Please cite all those sources outside of this board...
Boswell is listed in at least two 2024 NBA mock drafts, including one by Jonathan Givoney, from ESPN. (https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wild ... ock-draft/). Given that Krissa has never appeared in a single mock draft report for the NBA, I’d have to say that there are a number of “experts” out there who expect Boswell to “have a huge year” next year, and a significantly better one than Kerr. He may not quite make that type of leap, but I’d venture to guess that Sophmore-Boswell >> Junior Krissa, and probably better than Senior-Krissa. There is no need to be aggressively contrary. A little research will find you the “evidence” that you are asking for.
OK, I asked the wrong question. I too see Boswell as being a really good guard next year. But, that is NOT the need, eh?

Will he have as good a year as the POINT GUARD? I'll ask that, because, as awesome he was, he was not nearly as good at PG as Kerr this past year.

That's all I'm saying. If everyone (the coaches, the fans, the "experts< believed that, going so strong for Nembhard would have been a much lower priority!

Honestly, I hope he does fulfill that role, AND that Bradley lives up to his 5-star potential!!!
Fair question. But let’s compare Boswell and Krissa, from just this past year (not accounting for the fact that Boswell was a freshman (and did you hear that he was only 17?), and the biggest leap typically occurs between the freshman and sophomore seasons):

Points per Game: Kerr - 9.9; Boswell - 4.6 (for comparison Kerr’s PPG as a freshman was 5.5) - Advantage Krissa, however when you break the season into thirds, Krissa’s average started at 10.45, rose to 11.18, and most importantly dropped in the final third to 7.69. Meanwhile, Boswell started slow (freshman coming off a major injury) at 1.8, rose to 4.27 in the middle portion of the season, and finished the final third averaging 7.23. Clear progression through the season, with a reliable trend upward for Boswell, while Krissa was much more inconsistent, and saw a significant drop off during the most important portion of the year.

Rebounds Per Game: Kerr - 2.4; Boswell - 1.6 (for comparison Kerr’s RPG as a freshman was 0.5) - Raw numbers favor Kerr, but this doesn’t take into account the minutes played per game. Following the same pattern above, Krissa started out hot with his rebounding averaging 5.6 in the first third of the season. That dropped to 2.27 in the second third, and fell to 1.61 in the final third. Fatigue is a major factor with rebounding totals for guards, so it is possible that his legs were going by the end of the year. However a 71% drop in rebounding production is very concerning for a starting guard, especially in a Power conference like the PAC-12. Boswell started with a 1.09 rate, which rose to 2.0, and reverted back to 1.6 over the final third of the season. Again, fatigue probably played a major role, not to mention the fact that our guards tend to leak out for kick-ahead passes, taking them out of solid rebounding position, unless it from a long bounce off a missed three pointer. Boswell’s sturdy build, and physical strength, gives him far more season-long upside with this metric.

Assists Per Game: Kerr - 5.1; Boswell - 1.6 (for comparison, Krissa averaged 2.4 his freshman year. - This number clearly favors Krissa, which is why we brought in Bradley, to be interchangeable at the point, and who averaged a higher number as a Freshman than Kerr did. Again, Krissa started out on fire averaging 6.72 assists over the first third of the year. He then reverted a bit to the mean with an average of 4.54 over the second third, and 4.30, over the final third. Boswell has clear room for improvement here, but did show improvement over the course of the year. He started with an abysmal 0.9 assists per game rate, as he acclimated to the speed of the game. If you’ve ever been on the floor with college athletes, you will know how much faster the passing lanes close versus those in high school. He improved over the second third to 1.72, before falling back over the final third to 1.3. This is partially because he took on more of a scoring roll, as his time on the court with Krissa increased dramatically over this time period, as Ramey was slumping over the final portion of the season.

Turnovers Per Game: Kerr - 2.6; Boswell - 0.8 (for comparison, Krissa averaged 1.3 as a freshman) - Despite some memorable struggles to get the ball across half-court early in the season, Boswell ended up the far more sure-handed ball handler by the end of the year. His adjustment to the speed of the game, and his physical strength were major factors in his ability to avoid giving the ball up. And most of his turnovers late in the season were due to him trying to be a little too fancy with his passes, instead of going for the simple, two-handed chest pass. This will be drilled out of him in time with effective coaching. Krissa’s season started out at a 2.81 TO rate over the first third, rose to 3.27 as PAC-12 play started and finally dipped to 1.84 to round out the year. Despite one, or two, poor games, Boswell started at 0.81, remained at 0.81, before rising to 1.0 during each successive third. The final third also included a memorable 5-game stretch without a turnover. Better than any stretch of Krissa’s career with Arizona.

Now, you have to take the numbers above with a grain of salt, because Krissa played FAR more minutes than Boswell over the course of the season. When you extrapolate their results to a 40-min PER, the numbers look a little different (for reference, Krissa played 31.1 minutes per game while Boswell played 15.2) :

Krissa: 12.7 PPG, 3.08 RPG, 6.55 APG, 3.34 Turnovers Per Game (Assist to turnover rate of 1.96:1)
Boswell: 12.1 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 4.2 APG, 2.1 Turnovers Per Game (Assist to turnover rate of 2:1)

Overall very comparable results, with far more upside to improve for Boswell, given his young age.

Finally, the shooting percentage differences are a bit glaring:

Krissa - 37.3 FG%, 36.6 3P%, 76.7 FT% (Freshman year stats: 33.3 FG%, 36.8 3P%, 100 FT%)
Boswell - 45.0 FG%, 39.0 3P%, 78.9 FT%

Boswell clears Krissa in every shooting metric (even a Krissa who had three years to grow, and improve, in the AZ system).

Let’s put it this way… if Boswell had been three inches taller and a year older, he is already on his way to the NBA. We can thank generics, and his parents waiting a year to get busy, for the fact that we’ve got this kid for at least one more year. Trust me, he is a significant lift over Krissa for the upcoming year. Just my two-cents.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't recall any starting PG for Arizona that refused to try and get to the basket like Kriisa. Even Gabe York averaged 5.5 2 PT shots per game as a senior. Kriisa averaged 1.9 2 PT shots as a senior.

Hard to have defensive metrics, but just from the eyeball test Boswell was a much better defender.

One thing else too is that Kriisa tends to get worn down end of the season and tends to get injured. Too soon to tell about Boswell's legs.
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:33 am Unpopular opinion maybe, but I think we're gonna be completely fine without Kriisa.
I think the majority would agree with you.

EDIT: Steve Kerr also had only 1.9 2 PT shots per game as a senior, but when you are shooting 57% 3 PT then that's OK
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:33 am Unpopular opinion maybe, but I think we're gonna be completely fine without Kriisa.
I’m still TBD. One thing that Kerr brought was the balls to take big threes in big moments. And he hit his fair share. I’d like to see who can do that before I believe we won’t miss him at all.
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:52 pm
I’m still TBD. One thing that Kerr brought was the balls to take big threes in big moments. And he hit his fair share. I’d like to see who can do that before I believe we won’t miss him at all.
No doubt. I think it would be disingenuous to say that we won’t miss him at all. He was more than willing to put himself on the line when the moment called for it. A big part of the reason why all the other fan bases hated him so much. (Well that, and the constant smack talking he did on the court…). I happen to believe that his production can easily be replaced. His fire, and guts… that definitely remains to be seen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He will be missed for sure, and no doubt we wish him all the best success at WVU.

TucsonCat wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:04 pm A big part of the reason why all the other fan bases hated him so much. (Well that, and the constant smack talking he did on the court…).
Just reminded me though of another Kriisa issue, the refs hated him too. He rarely got a 50/50 call to go his way.

He was very willing to put his body on the line to get a charge call. Only Larsson was comparable in that aspect.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Keshad Johnson to UK?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

arizonawildcats wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:12 pm Keshad Johnson to UK?
Yesterday
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

The way the roster is currently, I’d be happy with either one
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Way to put his reputation on the line by calling him to the "Cats" when it's down to UA and UK.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:43 am

So is Julian Phillips.
We will be, yes. If we land Keshad though that's the end of that recruitment.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:07 am

So is Julian Phillips.
Thanks, Choo!

Has Keshad announced a timeline for his decision? Haven't seen that posted anywhere.

Generally speaking, I don't like our chances vs. Calipari and UK. But Tucson is also a hell of a lot closer to SD, and Keshad's from CA. If Tommy is trying to sell Keshad on starting next season, that's a pretty attractive pitch.

I'm thinking the starting 5 looks like this at present:

Boswell
Bradley
Larsson
Veesaar
Ballo

But maybe Keshad moves into that 4 spot and Veesaar comes off the bench. I also love the prospect of adding Kaluma to our roster. Either he or Keshad would be an excellent addition.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:12 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:07 am

So is Julian Phillips.
Thanks, Choo!

Has Keshad announced a timeline for his decision? Haven't seen that posted anywhere.

Generally speaking, I don't like our chances vs. Calipari and UK. But Tucson is also a hell of a lot closer to SD, and Keshad's from CA. If Tommy is trying to sell Keshad on starting next season, that's a pretty attractive pitch.

I'm thinking the starting 5 looks like this at present:

Boswell
Bradley
Larsson
Veesaar
Ballo

But maybe Keshad moves into that 4 spot and Veesaar comes off the bench. I also love the prospect of adding Kaluma to our roster. Either he or Keshad would be an excellent addition.
Keshad is announcing his choice next weekend.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's the 7th(?) player from UNC in the portal?

I don't have any insider information, but has to be good for UA being a local kid.
84Cat wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:26 am
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Man we need shooters!!! Hopefully Henri gets his shot to fall better this summer and can translate it to game time.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What kind of year did Dunn have at UNC? If I am going to the portal, I would prefer a proven commodity.

One plus is I think Miller recruited him so he must be talented
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat May 13, 2023 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:33 pm What kind of year did Dunn have at UNC? If I am going to the portal, I would prefer a proven commodity.

One plus is I think Miller recruited him do he must be talented
Last guy off the bench. Hubert Davis does suck and Dunn does have talent. We’d be taking a major gamble if he’s the guy we choose to be our primary backup guard though that’s for sure.
arizonawildcats

arizonawildcats

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like Larsson did not test at the G League Combine.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/2023-g-lea ... -wxOwAuPio
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Mike Luke's burner account.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Nice pick-up but didn't see any highlights with him shooting farther than 5 feet from the basket.

Does he have any range or do we have another low block big?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:12 am Nice pick-up but didn't see any highlights with him shooting farther than 5 feet from the basket.

Does he have any range or do we have another low block big?
He can shoot a midrange J, but not deep. He knows what his role is, he's a 5 man.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Looks just like Veesaar and Anderson.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:20 am Looks just like Veesaar and Anderson.
He's infinitely more polished than Anderson and weight 50-60lbs more than Veesaar.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:13 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:20 am Looks just like Veesaar and Anderson.
He's infinitely more polished than Anderson and weight 50-60lbs more than Veesaar.
So maybe gets more minutes than Anderson did as a freshman?

Probably impossible to say just yet, but I love to see Tommy continuing to do well recruiting internationally.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

It will be interesting to see if he can block shots in D1 like he is here

CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:13 am
Ok, now I’m excited. Thanks!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Unafraid of using the left hand when on that side of the rim.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Let’s go!

The Awe Shucks Assassin strikes again.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:31 am Unafraid of using the left hand when on that side of the rim.
Noticed that too. Pretty efficient with both hands so Walton can’t say “somebody tell so-and-so that a (insert Az player here) is left handed.”

;)
Last edited by EastCoastCat on Tue May 16, 2023 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:31 am Let’s go!

The Awe Shucks Assassin strikes again.
He's not done with adding players from that side of the world this class.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Veesaar will be a stretch 4 then to replace Zu? Although Zu is not tearing it up at the combine as we expected he wouldn't.

4 7 footers without a wing scorer won't make for a deep run, but still have some time to see who else Lloyd can get.
84Cat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:20 am It will be interesting to see if he can block shots in D1 like he is here

No doubt he is a great get, and it's really hard to tell from highlight videos against poor competition in high school gyms, but doesn't seem like a rim protector just from his stats, only 1.3 BPG.

https://www.proballers.com/basketball/p ... jus-krivas
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

4 centers on the roster now

Probably adding another big from Europe lol

Lloyd unfortunately picked up on Miller's size obsession, they're all going to be useless come tournament time.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Tue May 16, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:40 am 4 centers on the roster now

He's not a center.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:42 am

He's not a center.
Still too much frontcourt

All of them will likely shrink and become useless in March
arizonawildcats

He’ll be immovable in the low post at 256 lbs. Ballo should be fresher this season.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:44 am

He's not a center.

I agree with this. Even as there've been some excellent performances from big men in recent tourneys (Sanogo, Bacot), you GOTTA have those dominant guards/wings, like Mathurin and Terry.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:46 am
RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:44 am

He's not a center.

I agree with this. Even as there've been some excellent performances from big men in recent tourneys (Sanogo, Bacot), you GOTTA have those dominant guards/wings, like Mathurin and Terry.
I'm with you guys and at this point next year's roster basically is what it is, but this is more a move for the post-Ballo years.
arizonawildcats

You still can’t turn away a talented big man. Building a Lithuanian pipeline is a smart move.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Any more transfers? If you believe the twitter rumblings, it looks like Johnson to UK. How we looking with Kaluma?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IMNSHO, if he can be a stopper at the rim, and defend opposing centers/forwards, I'm glad he's coming. two of the three other bigs are still more "potential" than "actual"!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:03 pm Any more transfers? If you believe the twitter rumblings, it looks like Johnson to UK. How we looking with Kaluma?
I expect, if any of these guys are strongly considering the Cats, they're waiting to see what Zu does with the draft...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman